Maritime & Logistics
Surrounding the world’s largest natural deep water harbor, the Virginia Beach MSA is a maritime and logistics hub.
The region is home to the Port of Virginia, the third-busiest container port on the East Coast, and offers a strong intermodal infrastructure that includes 2 “Class I” railroads (Norfolk Southern and CSX) and major North/South and East/West interstate highway connections. Approximately 2/3 of the U.S. consumer population and manufacturing base are within a 750 mile radius of Virginia Beach.
The region’s strong port and manufacturing sectors have helped create a dynamic Maritime & Logistics business infrastructure in the Virginia Beach MSA, including a variety of industrial locations such as Airport Industrial Park and Oceana West/Oceana South Business Parks.
Virginia Beach's location as a global gateway ensures its companies can access all of the world's major markets.
Recent Maritime/Logistics Accomplishments
- Mosaic Tile announced a $2.4 million expansion to include the renovation of a 23,900 square foot commercial building in the Lynnhaven Strategic Growth Area.
- ARC Granite and Marble opened a new 23,100 square feet wholesale distribution facility in Taylor Farms Business Park.
- DaiEi Papers relocated the U.S. headquarters for its paper trading operation to the AMSEC Center.
- PHH Arval announced the leasing of 15,600 square feet for its first facility in the Virginia Beach MSA.
- Towne Air Freight leased 27,000 square feet of space in Airport Industrial Park.
Major Maritime and Logistics Companies in Virginia Beach
|Atlantic Dominion Distributors||280|
|Atlantic Container Line||80|
|Brooks Transfer & Storage Co.||60|
Key Positions - Average Annual Salaries
|Position||Virginia Beach MSA||United States|
|Marine Engineers and Naval Architects||$91,750||$100,090|
|Captains, mates and pilots of water vessels||$79,940||$83,150|
|Laborers and freight, stock and materials movers||$26,840||$27,840|Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, MSA, USA May 2015 Data